Tuesday, 22 August 2017

IT'S BEEN FAR TOO LONG...


What can I say? It's been far too long. I've ignored this blog for over six months and I don't really have much of an excuse apart from life really. We left the pub at the beginning of April, not because it wasn't working, but because we'd put up with enough and couldn't see it changing over the next few years so cut our loses and moved on as quickly as we'd moved in. I couldn't talk about it for a while, well wishers sending me messages and people I didn't know asking if we'd split up, it was all a bit too much attention really. 

The boys were sad and a little confused at first, but I have never been more certain about anything in my life, it wasn't right for us. The whole pub journey was good for us, it held up a mirror and made us decide on what was more important. The business was a success and still is, a young local couple have taken it on and I hear it's doing really well but we haven't been back yet. 

The whole transition was really hard and there was a time when we didn't know if we'd be able to keep our house or find jobs and I just prayed that we'd find something. I started a new job two days after we left the pub and I hadn't realised how exhausted I was, I'd lost nearly three stone but work was therapy and a way of not having to deal with money worries. 

It's now four months later and I feel that normality has resumed, I now appreciate our house, which I hated before with it's 1970's utilitarian lack of personality, I appreciate being in the middle of a village and not in the middle of the countryside and I appreciate the time we have as a family. 

I'm sure some of you by now have shouted at this blog at my naivety, of course it was never going to be easy, of course we'd lose family time and of course breweries are notoriously difficult but hey I had my rose tinted glasses on and we wanted more than anything to create something that was ours, I still do. 

My only regret is that the children might think we've failed when all we wanted to do was make them proud and make more money for their future. It wasn't for us and there's not a day that goes by that I'm not grateful to be out of there. We learned a lot during our 'mid-life' crisis and we'd do it all over again, but maybe choose a different adventure next time!

3 comments:

  1. Darling Emma thankyou firstly for ten years of sharing and blogging.I can imagine the many difficulties you faced behind the scenes and the compromise with family life. We had to make a similar decision ourselves in July and it was very painful. So happy to see your joyful family summer.Go gently excited to see your next adventure x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you made one decision and then just made a new decision. And so life goes. Don't worry about what your kids think. It's good for them to see change and see resilience and that life goes on and the important constants are family and community. Could have been worse. You could have tried to stick it out. Sounds to me like you saved yourselves in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of the other posts... many would have been too afraid to try... one day, you and your children will look back on it as an adventure of sorts. Better to have lived it than regret not doing it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...