Tuesday, 26 July 2016

PUB LIFE






































I have neglected this blog for a long while, and whilst you'd be forgiven for thinking that I'd given up on writing it, those of you that also hang out on Instagram will have seen glimpses into what has been keeping me busy and away from this blog for so long!

My husband and I have taken over The Daneway pub, in one of the most beautiful Cotswold Valleys and have upped sticks and moved here with the boys. We even had a royal reception with HRH The Prince of Wales here in our pub garden last week, it wasn't for us but for Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust who were celebrating the opening of their new nature reserve behind the pub!


It really has been quite a whirlwind! Learning about running a pub, launching our own business and moving house has really been quite something.


People ask whether it's something we've always wanted to do and in truth it isn't, pubs are notoriously tricky beasts, you work long hours and staffing is a nightmare in rural places. But this pub is something really rather special. Owned by family run Wadworth Brewery it was built as three separate cottages in the 1700's for the navvies who built the now disused canal. It sits nestled between three nature reserves and comes with a big field that I'm turning into my kitchen garden and a campsite, where we'll soon be siting a shepherds hut.


Our aim is to keep it simple and serve family friendly seasonal pub grub without pretensions.


We have been overwhelmed with the support we've received from family and friends and local businesses. The lovely Herbert family, who run Hobbs House Bakery brought us an epic present a giant lardy cake - it was absolutely delicious! Julie and Steve who have just taken over Miserden Nursery planted up some amazing hanging baskets for us and helped us hang them.


It's definitely a challenge living above the business there really is no switching off, but we are loving it and the boys have so much space to roam and have the freedom they need.


We have loads of ideas and plans going forwards and this bank holiday we're launching our first Cotswold Cider, Sausage and Snail Racing festival! 


I'll try and blog a bit more often and if you're ever in this part of the world, do pop in and say hi!

5 comments:

  1. Love the Cotswolds and will look you up if we find the time to go there. Good Luck and Best Wishes for your new life at the Daneway Inn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - how exciting for you and your family.
    When I visit your part of the world, I will come straightway to your pub.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just recently found your blog and I love it! Best wishes to you and your dear family on this new adventure. I look forward to visiting your neck of the woods someday (we are in Lexington, KY USA) and popping in to the Daneway Inn. Save some of the heirloom tomato salad for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a journey! I think you'll make it a huge sucess. Antonia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! Congratulations!!!!!! Your lovely pub in the Cotswolds looks amazing!!!! I will definitely come and visit when I am in the area. I wish you all the very best and hope that you are extremely successful

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...