Monday, 7 December 2015
This is my absolutely favourite stew recipe, perfect for a wild windy wintery day. I make it in huge batches with award winning red poll rare breed beef from Ruscombe Farm in Stroud and put it in flasks for walks. Here's my recipe,
plain flour seasoned with salt & pepper
750g stewing beef - cubed
3 onions chopped
100g streaky bacon chopped
100g button mushrooms
1 garlic clove
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 bottle of Guinness
1 beef stock cube
1. toss the cubed beef into the seasoned flour and add to a frying pan with the oil - browning off the meat and putting to one side.
2. add a glug of oil, the chopped onion and garlic to a large stewing pot with the bacon and cook until the onions become translucent.
3. stir in the carrots, parsnips, mushrooms and add the tin of tomatoes and Guinness, table spoon of puree, bay leaves and stock cube made up in 75ml of water.
4. cover and cook in oven on a low heat for 3-4 hours until the meat is really tender, you may want to check it once in a while and add more water if needed.
5. I add dumplings half an hour before serving too!