Wednesday, 11 November 2015

A GLORIUMPTIOUS DAY OUT IN GREAT MISSENDEN


In half term we took a trip to visit the Roald Dahl Museum in the village of Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire. I'm not going to lie, this was as much for me than for the children as I've always been fond of Dahl's books, reading them as a child and loving them even more reading them out loud to my children years later as an adult.

Roald Dahl lived and was inspired by Great Missenden and many of the village buildings found their way into his books from Matilda's orphanage to Danny's father's garage and I can see why, even on a damp and dismal day it was the most charming place. You can't miss the museum on the High Street, pastel painted and adorned with the BFG!

The museum is tiny and on a busy day quite a squeeze I would recommend getting there early. The highlights for us were seeing Roald Dahl's writing hut with everything in just as he left it and the Mr & Mrs Fox figures from Wes Anderson's recent stop motion animation. Afterwards we enjoyed cakes in Cafe Twit, which hopefully didn't contain real worms just like in The Twits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...