Monday, 5 October 2015

FARM TO FORK VIA THE FARMERS' MARKET


One of my favourite things is to shop at our local Farmers' Market. I am blessed as my nearest market is in Stroud, one of the first farmers' markets in the UK and winner of many awards. It is a foodie heaven with so many local producers selling their wares, from Days Cottage cider and apple juice to Hobbs House bread and cakes.

It is the epitome of slow living as it is often so busy you can't rush through the crowds even if you want to. I just go with the flow and meander along with my granny shopping basket stopping to buy bunches of gorgeous flowers and marvel at the stalls proudly boasting colourful vegetables. My three boys really don't share my love of the market but I find they are easily bought off with lardy cakes!


One of my favourite stalls is the Over Farm Market stall which at this time of year is piled high with home grown corn, squash and giant cabbages. I have been a customer of Over Farm since I was a little girl and love to know that the veg is grown just a few miles away by a local family. Shopping at the market helps me eat seasonally, something I loose sight of if I shop in a supermarket where everything is so readily available.


This time of year I get most excited about butternut squash, it's so versatile and I roast it with chilli, make it into soup and my absolute favourite is risotto so I though I'd share my recipe here.


Over Farm Squash Risotto

2 butternut squash - peeled, diced & roasted
1 glass of white wine
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 chicken or veg stock cube - made according to instructions
parmesan cheese
1 cup of arborio risotto rice

Method

1. finely chop an onion and add to a large frying pan with the crushed clove of garlic with a little oil
2. cook until the onion becomes transparent on a moderate heat (approx. 10 mins)
3. add the white wine
4. add the risotto rice and stir so it soaks up the wine
5. ladle the stock bit by bit, constantly stirring the mixture as it absorbs the liquid
6. after approx. 20 minutes add the squash (towards the end) and stir in to risotto
7. serve with parmesan on top to taste and fried sage leaves to garnish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...