Sunday, 28 September 2014

LIFE BEGINS!


My birthday is at the end of harvest time, a time when Autumn begins and farmers traditionally celebrate the fruitfulness of their labour, conkers fall from chestnut trees and it's time to pick apples to press. This birthday was my 40th *yikes*, so we decided to mark the occasion with a harvest supper with family and friends. It was such a balmy evening we sat outside on the decking on straw bales under festoon lights and feasted on pork and chorizo stew, followed by apple crumble served in tea cups with custard and apple tarts with salted caramel and cream. We toasted marshmallows on the wood burner and danced until our feet couldn't dance anymore.

All my lovely friends helped out as we literally organised the party in a few days, my mum made five apple crumbles, my friend Jenny made an amazing chocolate birthday cake, Gina picked a load of apples from her allotment to make the apple tarts, helped me decorate the cabin and lent me her vintage china plates, Anne-Marie helped me 'style' the venue, Nick made all the delicious food, Vicky made the most delicious salted caramel sauce, Steve and Sam brought the music, Anne tipped me off about the most amazing tea bag fabric that I could use to cover the mural on the wall of the cabin and lent me her staple gun, the local pub lent us their glasses and Richard lent us straw bales. My amazing husband has spent all today clearing up! I am truly blessed to have the most kind and wonderful friends. Here are just a few snaps from the evening.








4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Emma! It looks like a wonderful party, everything so perfect.I had my 40th last month and I was too poorly to celebrate but I have something to look forward to and I think you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! So thrilled you were surrounded by love and celebration. And amazing food! We are taking good care of your cottage in Wales xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Happy Birthday Emma, looks like you had a great party and all your friends and family there to celebrate with you. I love the look and feel of it, lots of really good inspiration here x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...