Monday, 12 May 2014

MUST HAVE MONDAYS: CIDER WITH ROSIE



This week the new Cider with Rosie is re-published with a beautiful cover design by Mark Herald and introduction by Micheal Morpurgo. Written by Laurie Lee in 1959 the book is semi-biographical and tells of a simple time growing up in the bucolic Slad Valley, Gloucestershire.

The book has remained popular, thanks in part to its place on the national curriculum reading list, and today you can still find all the places mentioned in Cider with Rosie; the Woolpack Pub, School House, Rosebank Cottage (Lee's childhood home) and the church where Lee is buried. June the 26th would have been Lee's 100th birthday and there are lots of wonderful events planned to celebrate, a perfect time to discover the writing and poetry of Laurie Lee. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh why haven't I read that... I think I must. thank you for the recommendation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea there was a new edition. Isn't it gorgeous? I have loved this book ever since my wise English teacher made the decision to choose it over 1984 as our o level book. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought a copy a few months ago as it's a book I've never read & thought this would be the year to do it. Still haven't got around to it though! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...