This week for the 52 Loaves Project we made damper bread on a campfire. You have to twist your bread around a green stick and keep turning so as not to burn it, but it tastes delicious on its own, freshly baked.
400g plain flour
30ml natural sugar
15ml sea salt
20ml baking powder
60ml softened butter
10ml warm water
in the kitchen...
1. mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add water and stir. Dough should be too dry to come together into one lump.
3. Cut in butter and knead by hand just long enough to make it smooth and consistent.
4. Form into a log, wrap in plastic and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
at the campsite...
5. Prepare 1 or more sticks 1cm in diameter by shaving clean with a pocket knife.
6. Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll into long pencil thin snakes 30cm (12 inches) and coil these around the end of the stick.
7. Hold sticks high over the fire, constantly turning until the coiled dough turns golden brown.
8. Cool and eat straight off the stick!
recipe adapted from the fab book Baking Bread with Children by Warren Lee Cohen
Playing along with Little Green Shed by baking a loaf a week and sharing a picture of it on Instagram with the #52loavesproject