Sunday, 6 April 2014

Baking with a new-found confidence

white loaves and banana bread straight out of the oven!

I set to making our weekly loaf this week with added confidence and enthusiasm after last week's bread making masterclass with Tom Herbert at Hobbs House Cookery School.

This was the week I was going to create the perfect white loaf! This was also the week where we had a new oven fitted (whoops sorry credit card!) and I purchased a baking stone too. There were a few variables but it was fine, I didn't impulsively add flour to the very sticky dough as I would have before, instead after a few minutes kneading it started to turn into a beautiful soft dough. The dough scraper was a revelation - who knew?


I also kneaded it for twice as long as I did before and shaped it to go into the tins and sprayed them with water before putting them in the very hot oven. I still made the mistake of putting too much dough in the tin, so there is plenty of room for improvement

The difference is amazing they actually look like something you'd buy in a shop! All the tips and advice that Tom shared have really paid off, you really can't substitute with a book the opportunity to learn hands-on with an expert, I feel as if we've turned a corner.


Playing along with Little Green Shed by baking a loaf a week and sharing a picture of it on Instagram with the #52loavesproject

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I make banana bread a lot but i've never made actual bread. I would love to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks lovely. I enjoy baking bread but not sure about the benefits of the scraper so not splashed out on one so far. I almost missed Countryfile on Sunday, from my homeland of Glos- just caught it as the section about the Laurie Lee trail started, was that you?! Looks lovely and such a worthwhile project linking the poetry with the landscape. Hopefully brings it alive for children.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...