Saturday, 22 February 2014

Spelt soldiers


We tried some fancy organic, biodynamic spelt flour this week for our loaf of the week. The bread didn't rise much, and upon cooking it was quite dense, but thinking about my favourite loaf a Hobbs House seeded spelt, which is a similar size and density, that might be the nature of spelt perhaps? Spelt is a really old variety of wheat, low in gluten and high in fibre and vitamins and one I'm keen to introduce to our diet, so I'm pleased the boys overlooked the fact that it is 'brown' and actually wolfed it down!


The bread tasted earthy and delicious and would be perfect with a glass of cider and some cheese, but we couldn't wait and made it into soldiers to dip into our eggs for breakfast.


Playing along with Little Green Shed by baking a loaf a week and sharing a picture of it on Instagram with the #52loavesproject

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I've been making spelt loaves too recently, I was surprised by what seemed like the cakey density, but as your soldiers show, they do make good toast. I also liked te fact that you can mix loaves and put them straight into bake, without kneading and a short rise, this appeals to my impatient and disorganised nature!, I've been making this types of recipe
    http://www.doughworks.co.uk/recipe/spelt-bread-the-grant-loaf/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...