Sunday, 15 December 2013

Children's Christmas gifts


I really struggle each year with buying Christmas gifts for children. With a limited budget, to buy any decent or good quality toy for £10 seems impossible nowadays and I am constantly amazed by how expensive toys such as Lego are! Also after you have a few children you tend to amass a good amount of toys and each Christmas I eye the toy basket with fear as the plastic seems to be spilling over into the whole house and although I hate throwing anything away, there is only so long you can keep broken toys and those whose batteries you've *ahem* not replaced, so I hate giving plastic toys, especially ones with loads of packaging (a huge bugbear of mine!)


I want to buy nice presents that mean something that the child will value and this year my thoughts turned to 'experiences' what could I buy that a child could 'do'? I looked at various tickets for shows or entry to places, which were all quite expensive so after a lightbulb moment in the middle of the night I remembered that a local riding stables did gift vouchers.


Perfect, it means we've shopped local too! I couldn't just give the children a voucher, so I bought these rather beautiful Schleich horses, so the children have something to unwrap. I just hope they like them.


15 comments:

  1. They will love the ponies as well as the lessons - you might have started something there though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I may not be thanked for encouraging possibly the most expensive hobby for a child!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I can relate to this post! With 3 boys like you the third one has ended up with an emormous amount of toys (yes, mainly plastic). I'm fortunate that all 3 enjoy books (in English!) so that's what will be in their stockings this Christmas. Such a lovely idea you've had re the horse riding lessons, those Schleich animals are beautiful, what lucky children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, unfortunately my boys are reluctant readers!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea. I know what you mean about Lego too, the price seems to have gone through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're exactly the same, although Joe is only 15 months so it's a bit easier just yet. I'm averse to plastic and packaging but it's so hard to avoid at this time of year, isn't it?
    The limited budget thing also rings true but I'm firmly of the opinion that it's about quality, not quantity.
    The riding lessons are absolutely perfect. And as a pony-mad child myself I can assure you I'd have been beyond excited to have received such a lovely present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea, I bet they'll be so pleased with those gorgeous horses as well as the riding lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, small Gift Toys but have a big gift inspiration message, excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent idea simple toys gift but awesome inspiration message. I learn lesson so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...