Saturday, 14 September 2013

When I was 14 years old I wanted to be a journalist


When I was 14 years old I was too young to get a Saturday job, but desperately wanted to earn my own money. I tried delivering newspapers, but soon gave up when I couldn't find the houses, they all had names, massive long drives and no numbers! So my first proper job was as a 'local correspondent' for my local newspaper The Citizen in Gloucester. I was paid 12p a line and a picture of me wearing slightly too much black eyeliner accompanied my weekly piece. I wrote about school, shopping trolleys being dumped in the local brook and people protesting for a bypass to take the lorries away from our village. I dreamed of becoming a journalist. 

Fast forward 20+ years and I work for an amazing local charity in marketing, part of my role includes writing press releases, web copy, magazine articles and features for local magazines. I love it and work with the most enthusiastic and inspiring local and national newspapers, journalists, freelance writers, TV programmes and radio stations. They keep me on my toes in terms of questions, and I in turn *hopefully* supply them with great quotes, stories and photographs.


A few months ago I met with the lovely Tara Walker, who is the editor of a brand new magazine for the Cotswolds' called Your Cotswold Family. I was delighted when she asked whether I would write a feature about how children aren't engaging with nature anymore and I jumped at the chance as it was right up my street. I am so used to writing anonymously that it was a real challenge to break away from my corporate style, but I loved it and it brought back all the memories of that 14 year sitting at the typewriter with a chewed pencil!  I got the same butterflies now as I did then to see my name in print in such a fab new magazine, which *ahem* is on sale now throughout the Cotswolds'.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Emma - will be picking a copy up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I hope you got the eyeliner out for a bit of nostalgia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...