Sunday, 18 August 2013

Pottering around the Potager Garden







I do love discovering new places on holiday, especially ones tucked away from the throngs of tourists, hidden at the end of sunken oak tree-lined lanes in deepest Cornwall. I read about the Potager Garden and Glasshouse Cafe in Alastair Sawdays Go Slow England and Wales and it didn't disappoint.

The cafe with its mismatched furniture and huge wood burner, reminded me of the Ethicurean restaurant, and has a small and thoughtful menu inspired by the vegetables grown in the garden. On the cafe tables along with flowers, are packs of cards and sets of dominoes for entertainment, a theme throughout the gardens with a badminton set and boules on the lawn, a table tennis table in the greenhouse and hammocks to lounge on - perfect and oh so child friendly!

The gardens were beautiful with tall striking blue agapanthus flowers and lush green ferns. In the cafe we enjoyed a delicious pea and mint soup and gooey flour-less chocolate cake washed down with homemade elderflower cordial. I wanted to lounge in one of the many sunny glades to read my new book, The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane about the ancient tracks, paths, drovers roads and holloways that criss-cross the British Isles, but I was drawn into a badminton battle with my husband instead!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! so pleased you visited one of my favourite places, I could easily while away a whole afternoon here x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky Antonia, I wish I had such an enchanting place like this on my doorstep, Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. And its dog friendly too! Such a rare treat! Your blog is great for inspiration. I live in Sussex but last week on our travels to Wales we went to Minchinhampton and had lunch at the Ragged Cot, saw Giffords Circus, visited Sharland and Lewis and Hobbs House in Nailsworth! So...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fab to know Liz, isn't Giffords just amazing? I'm so glad you got to visit some of our fab local places too on your travels, Emma x

      p.s. I would love to visit Sussex, it's a part of the world I don't know, you'll have to give me some recommendations.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing, this place looks so lovely and peaceful too. We are off to Cornwall on Friday, and like you I prefer places that are away from busy tourists! Do you know of any other hidden gems we could explore?! Going to be staying in Carbis Bay, just outside St Ives. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...