Sunday, 25 August 2013

Postcards from Cornwall



I have post holiday blues! We've recently returned from a two glorious weeks in sunny Cornwall, I know, we always go to Cornwall but we love it so much! We stayed with the same company that we've stayed with before, Forever Cornwall, but this time in a lovely little barn in the hills between the north and south coast. We are creatures of habit returning to the same place, but I like to look forward to my holiday and we take great comfort in knowing where we're going and planning our adventures before we set off.


The barn was lovely, with a huge sofa that reminded me of the Driftwood beach chalet that we stayed in a few years ago. There were piles of old ladybird bird books for the boys to read and classic Penguins too that had belonged to the owner Phil as a child. 


We took with us Enid Blyton's The Sea of Adventure to read at bedtime, a great series for older boys who yearn for adventure and appropriate reading for our seaside holiday.


It usually takes me a few days to get into holiday mode and unwind, so to have two weeks away was just bliss and it was so easy to unwind in such a beautiful house. Although I have a giant mound of washing that we've brought back with us.


The boys freely roamed the meadows around the barn; playing cricket in the garden, feeding carrots to the ponies and picking blackberries from the bountiful hedgerows, staining their fingers in the process!


We tried to get to the beach as much as possible to take advantage of the good weather and swim in the sea, it's amazing how children entertain themselves on a beach, making friends, searching for shore crabs in the rock pools and making sandcastles!


I have loads more holiday adventures to share and more pictures to upload to flickr too, you have been warned! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emma. We also stayed at Swallow Barn last year after reading your glowing review of Driftwood chalet and have very fond memories of the barn. We are currently staying in another Forever Cornwall property and like you, we are also creatures of habit and feel very much at home in this part of West Cornwall. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as we did, I hope the sun is still shining and you have a wonderful holiday, I'm very jealous that you're still there. I'm already planning our 2014 holiday! Emma x

      Delete
    2. Thanks, the sun is still shining and just had the best day at Sennen Cove. We are also contemplating next year- I'm quite desperate to stay in one of the beach chalets! X

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm amazed we didn't bump into each other. I recognise that beach, our favourite. We park at the other end, the National Trust have introduced a fab car parking scheme. Can never get into Driftwood (always booked) but have managed to book one of their other chalets for later in the year, which is bizarrely opposite a friends house! I can't wait. We won't have the weather but will have the surf! Just off to Swift's Hill now to walk the dogs. Never been. It's actually part of a plan to try the pub you've recommened. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha our paths cross so often! Make sure you go through the woodlands next to the hill too, they are the brand new Laurie Lee Woods, if you walk to the top you'll have earned a cider in the Woolpack that's for sure!

      Driftwood is lovely but the other chalets are bigger and equally fab and in such an amazing place! I spend my holiday deciding which chalet at Gwithian i'd buy if I won the lottery ;0) Have a wonderful time x

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately the post holiday blues are a normal problem. Looks like a fab place you went to - I love Cornwall, I wish I lived there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...