Friday, 9 August 2013

a tour of our treehouse


The treehouse is a very large feature in the corner of our very tiny and oddly shaped garden. It is nearly ten years old, my husband started building it when we discovered we were expecting our first child! It was his 'thing' and it took a while to build as he should have been getting the house ready instead, as we had only just moved in!


He built the treehouse around a rather sad lilac tree that sits in a corner of the garden that I couldn't bear to be chopped down despite its poor condition, it was the only thing of height in the garden and it hides the neighbours perfectly! He built a sturdy platform, with four posts concreted into the ground to hold it up, through the floorboards two wonderful thick branches grow and exit through the roof above. The walls and roof are built upon the platform, with lots of branches weaving in and out everywhere! There has been movement and growth so we do need to replace some boards here and there, but it has held together really well.


In one of the walls is a stained glass window, that I made years ago as a present for my husband who at the time was working as a geologist and loved fossil hunting (still does!) There are two rather lovely ammonites incorporated into it and it looks perfect in the treehouse as if it were made for it.


The babe and I often sneak in the treehouse for afternoon tea, he loves it in there, so we've put in his small table and chairs. You can see in the picture above the repairs that need doing!


And sometimes we sleep in it despite there being no room due to the branches going through it so you have to sleep diagonally!


The lilac only flowers for a week in April, so I planted a scented jasmine to grow up it, which has gone mad and now covers the treehouse in the summer providing a lovely aroma and food source for the hundreds of bees that visit.

11 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful, special tree house! I love how both of you created it, that stained glass panel is wonderful, you've inspired me there! Your children must adore it, and will have special memories of it forever, can't beat that!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore it. Thank you so much for tour and for doing it so promptly after my request. We don't have any trees other than the two fruit trees we planted when I moved in (new build) . It is something I must rectify

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome - you could easily build something similar on a platform and plant a climber such as jasmine over it! Emma x

      Delete
  3. How fantastic! I wished and wished for a tree house like this when I was a kid. Brilliant, love the stained glass winow. Magical x enjoy yourselves x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Steph, although I think I probably wished for more of a shed like the Secret Seven! x

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic treehouse! Guy has just been building one for Ruby, our 5 year old to play in with lots of friends and cousins. It's not finished but is already well-used and I hope it sees as much fun as yours has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think ours was ever officially finished! It certainly needs maintenance now and the boys are talking about an extension and other modifications (slide from the roof!) We'll need planning permission at this rate, Emma x

      Delete
  5. I love the way you've included existing plants in the design - so clever! We've got plans to do the same with a small patch of garden that has an overgrown fushia and hebe in it. I'll share the finished work when it's finally done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...