Thursday, 27 December 2012

I ♥ film...


The best photographs I've ever taken have been captured on my lomo and polaroid film cameras (you can see a few over on flickr). I tend to go through fads with my various cameras, but have been neglecting the film cameras of late since discovering instagram a few years ago, where ironically I make my pictures look like film ones with various effects!

I love the film cameras as the results are unpredictable, grainy and more emotive. When I use the 'big' camera (which isn't even that big anymore) I don't like how it makes me. I become obsessed with taking the perfect picture, reshooting until I'm happy with the results, or more often than not the expression on a child's face! So as a result I made a conscious decision a few years ago, not to view my children's milestones through a lens, so there are many pictures I haven't taken, instead these are my most treasured memories not to be shared with anyone. Of course I still use the 'big' camera a Nikon digital SLR for planned shoots when I need to check the pictures as I'm shooting or for when I want 'fancy' shots.

So this Christmas I squealed with excitement as I opened my presents to find a lomokino camera, a 35mm movie camera, my lovely husband has given me. Just what I need to rediscover my love of film, and enjoy the journey of learning to use a new camera all over again!

I do hope you had lovely Christmas presents too?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Emma! How exciting! (I am just a little jealous!)... I love that camera. I cannot wait to see the results (if you want to show that is!). Lovely stuff! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for a nice day (????) so that I can try it out - when will it stop raining? x

      Delete
  2. what a great husband you have! I have been using my dad's slr all christmas and am borrowing it now, i do hope i get one for my 30th, i am putting enough "hints" out there! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes once you pick one up that's it! That's why I didn't touch Kat's 5d - there'd have been no going back to my humble Nikon! When's your birthday?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...