Saturday, 6 October 2012

cheese toasties on cheese roll hill...




Inspired by the recipes in this months 'The Simple Things' magazine, we climbed to the top of Coopers Hill where the annual 'Cheese Roll' takes place, near Gloucester, and ate toasted sandwiches and soup. A fab idea to take a disposable barbecues for nippy autumnal walks, I had never thought to do toasties on them, but they worked a treat! We had ham and gruyere toasted sandwiches, and then I made a butternut squash and leek soup, with a dollop of creme fraiche on top. 

I grew up in the shadow of Coopers Hill, so the annual cheese roll doesn't seem odd to me at all, but in case you haven't heard of this bizarre custom, here's a fab video of this years event...

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do. My husband inherited an identical flask from his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toasties in the wild. What a fab idea. Perfect weather for it, too. Lara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of an autumn/winter barbecue & saw the article in the Simple Things magazine but wondered how long it would take to get the barbecue heated up? My children are not very patient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, it took about 20 mins for the flames to die down, whilst the children ran around! I saw you too were inspired to make sultana cake - how was that? Emma x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...