Thursday, 6 September 2012

through my children's eyes...


I always wonder how my sons would describe me or their childhood if they ever write an autobiography when they are older. I am always bemused when I meet siblings who grew up sharing the same parents and experiences but often have such a different take on it. When I read books it's always the descriptions of parents that really stand out, it reminds me just how important my role is as their mother is. Here are a couple of quotes from some of my favourite books; 

“I was glad my father was an eye-smiler. It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself. A mouth-smile is different. You can fake a mouth-smile any time you want, simply by moving your lips. I've also learned that a real mouth-smile always has an eye-smile to go with it. So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same. It's sure to be a phony.” 
Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl 

"The lack of sisters and daughters was something Mother always regretted; brothers and sons being her lifetime's lot. She was a dreamy child, it seemed, with a curious, hungry mind; and she was given to airs of incongruous elegance which never quite suited her background..."

"... I don't think she ever knew what had made him desert her, though the reasons seemed clear enough. She was too honest, too natural for this frightened man; too remote from his tidy laws. She was, after all, a country girl; disordered, hysterical, loving. She was muddled and mischievous as a chimney-jackdaw, she made her nest of rags and jewels, was happy in the sunlight, squawked loudly at danger, pried and was insatiably curious, forgot when to eat or ate all day, and sang when sunsets were red. She lived by the easy laws of the hedgerow, loved the world and made no plans, had a quick holy eye for natural wonders and couldn't have kept a neat house for her life." 
Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee

Do you ever wonder how your children would describe you? 

3 comments:

  1. I have an odd memory in that I remember the bad and not the good. Being told off rather than the fun times :( So I keep scrap books for my children with ticket stubs etc from every outing we go on and write a few words about our day - if their memories work like mine - hopefully the books will remind them of the amazing adventures we have. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that DTCOTW quote - twinkly eyes really are special. My little girl is only 4 months old so I'm sure all she thinks of me at the moment is 'MMMIIIILLLLKKKK' but it's something I've been thinking of a lot - the experiences and memories I want her to have.
    The scrapbook idea is lovely too Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely post, makes me think, and remember to smile with my eyes at my son....thank you Heather

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...