Sunday, 9 September 2012

Slugs, snails & puppy dog tails, that's what little boys are made of...


To celebrate Stanley's christening yesterday, we decided to have a snail race. Little boys are made of slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails, according to the children's poem!


Back in 2008 we were lucky enough to visit the World snail racing championship in Norfolk. We thought we could host our own, and with the help of grandad, who cut us out a large circle of wood, we made a simple racing board. You simply put your snail in the middle and the one that reaches the edge first wins.


I found an old cup, which we had engraved at the cobblers in town with "Stanley's snail race" to present to the winning family.


My very pretty goddaughters wore their beautiful 'I love gorgeous' dresses with silver shoes and took it in turns to 'mother' little Stanley, along with our friends two year old mother hen, Evie, who just loves him!


I wanted to do a simple seasonal lunch, using blackberries as a theme and through my Pinterest board found all kinds of delicious inspiration.
Menu 

Garden vegetable tart
Homemade coleslaw
Crusty bread
Grandma's homegrown salad 
Pea, courgette and bacon saute  


followed by

Apple & blackberry crumble in teacups
Blackberry iced tea pops for the children


Obviously I completely overlooked how much blackberries stain, especially when children are in their Sunday best! 



My friend Jenny made a simple cake, decorated with a snail made out of icing! She is amazingly talented and also took the bottom four photo's. 


Excuse the middle child, no amount of cajoling could get him to stop pulling faces! Oh well at least he was good in the church.


and after a hard days racing the snails earned a quiet retirement in the compost bin! 


14 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful and unique day (I'm so glad other families have 'tongue-sticker-outers' too!) and many congratulations to little Stanley on his special day. Will you make the snail racing an annual event to mark the date? Your winner's cup could be passed around family and friends for years to come in Stanley's honour! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie, yes this will definitely be an annual occasion now we have a cup!
      Emma x

      p.s. the (slightly competitive) Bradshaw boys won the cup *it wasn't a fix*

      Delete
  2. How great! Snail racing, just brilliant. We currently have one in a jam jar. He is being set free in the morning x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to get the washing in as it has started raining and I trod on a snail *please don't let it be one of the racing snails!*

      Delete
  3. What a perfect day, Emma. Glad the blackberries did you proud in the end, and my goodness you concocted some yumminess with them. Fabulous! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can see why I needed so many blackberries! My lovely neighbours, by strange coincidence, gave us a huge tubful too and I still have enough for jam ;0)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Oh such gorgeous photos Emma. And gorgeous children. Perfect indian summers dayxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how special, what a beautiful day!!! Absolutely love those darling little girls... especially the pic of your little guy kicking ion her lap!!! And the family photo is priceless!!! Sweet love and happy memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog!!! I don't comment much, but keep doing what you are doing:) Very inspiring..very beautiful!!! Happy kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love your menu - really special. Snail racing is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I couldn't love that snail cake any more if I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun party! I love that you had a trophy cup engraved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it .. I so think we should do snail racing at school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Photos, Looks like lots of fun was had and lots of scrummy food was eaten.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...