Tuesday, 13 March 2012

my (lack of) birth plan...


When you first have a baby, the first thing you do is buy a book. This book is usually a week-by-week guide to the stages of pregnancy and the development of your baby, it will be your bible for the next nine months. You read it out loud to your husband, as you want him to be involved every single step of the way! You tell him it's the size of a grape, apple, melon, pineapple and you grab his hand to your expanding belly so he can feel every kick.

You write lists, what does the baby need? what names do you agree on? what are you going to take in your hospital bag? your birth plan, even what frozen meals are in the freezer! Every day you wait for your first born, you shave your legs and bathe in lavender oil ready to receive the baby whilst listening to whale music! You take pride in the neutrally decorated nursery, stroking those oh so soft sheets, you pack and re-pack countless baby grows into your hospital bag, and shed a tear of relief when the tens machine you hired turns up. If you are anything like me, you even have nightmares that you don't own a teapot and matching cups for all those visitors!

When you have baby number two, your main focus becomes child number one, will they get on? how will you orchestrate their first meeting? how will they react? how much do they understand? should you move them into a big bed or should you try not to make any changes that will upset them? and so on...

By the time you get to baby number three, you wonder who that crazy person was all those years ago, as the panic sets in that with only a few weeks to go, you have nothing ready! You realise the pushchair rescued from the garage was underneath the leak in the roof and has gone rusty, no longer able to collapse! The car seat has survived as you lent it to a friend who looked after everything much better than you have, thank goodness.

So here I find myself instead of buying nice pyjamas for the hospital, this time buying the grand total of six items; arnica tablets, a new hot water bottle for the after pains, Neal's Yard Seaweed & Arnica Foaming Bath (I have used this religiously after my other two births after my midwife recommended it and healed so quickly), maternity & nursing pads and posh extra quilted luxury toilet paper - if you've ever had a baby I will say no more!

11 comments:

  1. Wait 'till it's baby number four. You wont even be in the hospital 13 hours. Good Luck, it'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still in the whale music and stroking the oh-so-soft stage - expecting my first in 8 weeks!
    Hope all goes well with your 3rd. (It reassures me that so many people do this giving birth malarkey more than once!)
    Your post has also just reminded me to buy arnica tablets - and I'm now eyeing up the lovely looking Neal's Yard bath foam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! And enjoy every moment, it goes by so quickly ;0)

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how little a new baby needs but mummy needs anything that will bring some comfort before, during & after! You sound like you have got your shopping list about right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, hilariously true on the old stroking the sheets front here when I had number one.
    The quilted paper? I wish I had thought of that! I think I would add a box of prunes!!
    Sounds like you are more than ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, isn't it amazing the difference in preparation for each child. All the best and I will have to get my hands on some of that Neal's Yard for next time...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh fun... For my first - I knew everything - everything!!! Did I say "everything"!!! Everything about birth and nothing about baby care. I spent nine months learning about labor and what a surprise when the mid-wife went home and we had a real life baby to take care of!!! We got better at it, really quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this made me laugh! You are so right. With my first I had the cot made up so stupidly early that the bedding actually got dusty and had to be re-washed. The arrival of number two was nearly eclipsed by number one catching chicken pox the day he arrived - I swear she timed it on purpose so that she could still be the centre of attention! (good luck with the birth by the way) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh fun... For my first - I knew everything - everything!!! Did I say "everything"!!! Everything about birth and nothing about baby care. I spent nine months learning about labor and what a surprise when the mid-wife went home and we had a real life baby to take care of!!! We got better at it, really quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thinking of you Emma...that foaming bath has me intrigued, I'm off to read up about it.

    Om shanti sukha om - joyous and peaceful birth to you x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me smile, especially the last sentence.

    Good luck, Emma!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...