Friday, 6 January 2012

scary bananas...


the bump is huge, the baby is now bigger than a banana, and cause of much amusement to the little man, whose favourite game is to play 'listen to the baby' by resting his head on my stomach! 

I've had a horribly emotional day as my blood pressure has continued to rise to scary heights and I have spent more time being monitored in hospital, literally sat in a chair, having a blood pressure check every half an hour! I have to let go of my hope to birth in a small midwife led hospital and accept that things are out of my control, which is horrible. Also I am now on medication to get the blood pressure down and already suffering the side effects I was warned about. It also means a lot more scans, checks and seeing a consultant in a large hospital rather than my local midwife.

This has really caught me off guard, having had two previous pregnancies with no problems at all and it's still relatively early as I'm not quite in the third trimester. What was even worse today, was listening (whilst pretending not to, in that hospital waiting room type of way) to the other women in the room being admitted to hospital with pre-eclampsia, having not only high blood pressure, but other symptoms too and faced with the possibility of being there for weeks. They were told things like they would be given steroid injections to develop the baby's lungs on, in preparation for the likelihood that they might be born early! It's put the fear into me let me tell you, I can't think of anything worse than being away from my family.

I still planned to work for ten weeks too, I have so much to do there and at home in preparation, but I can't worry or be stressed for fear it raises my blood pressure even more!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Emma, sending you lots of blood pressure reducing vibes x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the 3rd baby curse had exactly the same prob with violet 2 previous trouble free births & then came the troublesome one with blood pressure playing silly games very frustrating so I feel for you, get lots of rest & everything will b fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bump! I think you've done a great job of worrying about everyone else that now you just need to let them take care of you, let your foot off the gas and try to sit back and relax - you've earnt it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had the same with my 3rd (and 4th) with medicated bigh bp. I remember crying with worry abotu the risk of medication blah blah blah... however they are happy healthy monkeys now; but just to forewarn you, although mine did come down after the 3rd it has remainned high after number 4 :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to read this, what a worrying time for you. seems to be a pattern, 2 easy pregnancies and then a trickier 3rd one :-( sending many 'relax and take it easy' vibes.

    Lovely photo though, very special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you many calming, happy vibes. Much love to you Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you are having such a scary time Emma. I spent two weeks prior to the birth of my daughter in hospital due to complications. It wasnt much fun and I missed my son terribly but it was the best place to be and it was comforting knowing everything was at hand just in case. I will keep everything crossed for you that your BP goes back to normal and you can relax for the rest of the pregnancy. Sending you all my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma, my poor dear! I've been thinking about you lots (as a midwife over in the states and a longtime reader) and sending you lots of love. Fright in pregnancy can really feel like the worst kind of worry and, unfortunately, hospitals are not well designed to help you feel calm and safe while they help you. If you ever want to talk about the particulars of your situation, I am available by email. I was also thinking that if it turns out that you won't be able to birth in the midwife-run unit that you might consider hiring a Doula to attend your birth. Even though I'm sure your husband will be a great support to you it is nice, for both of you, to have someone who has been to a lot of births, will be with you the whole time, knows how the hospital works and tricks to get you what you want and need to do your best. Doulas can really be invaluable when birthing in the hospital. Keeping you and your babe in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Emma, so sorry to read this. All will be well. Keep your feet up & try not to worry (easier said than done I know). I was in a small cottage hospital for no1, then no2 & no3 in Great Western which I have to say was very good. Will be keeping a close eye on your blog for news. Best wishes for now. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...