Monday, 10 October 2011

toffee apples...


I have finally made toffee apples without the toffee slipping off! I realised after borrowing a friends thermometer that I don't heat up the mixture enough. This is how I made them...

(makes 25-30 small - medium sized apples)

tip. I used locally picked apples that are unwaxed, if you buy very shiny ones from a supermarket, wash them in boiling water first. 

ingredients
800g golden caster sugar
7 tablespoons of golden syrup
200 ml water 
2 teaspoons of vinegar

method
wash apples in boiling water.
push sticks into apples, I used real twigs rather than lolly style sticks for a rustic look. 
heat sugar and water in saucepan for a few minutes.
once sugar has melted add golden syrup and vinegar and boil to 140°C, my thermometer had 'hard crack' on it. 
Take off heat and dip each apple in the mixture, a dip and twizzled a bit to drip off excess toffee. 
Place on baking parchment to set. 

2 comments:

  1. They look great and I always like to see a twig instead of a lolly stick in there! I am surprised you didn't make the toffee with one of those hedgerow toffee apple recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise,
    Am definitely going to try a hedgerow recipe next, they sound fab saw them on Autumnwatch last week,
    Emma ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...