Monday, 4 July 2011

Wild Things Week Six ~ touch boxes!


Weather: cold 
Date: March 2011
Activity: Making touch boxes

I am terribly behind in documenting the naturey stuff I have been doing this year with the reception class at my sons school. This is an activity we did back in March, I asked if all parents could send an egg box with their children to school. We then gave each child an egg box each and they were asked to think about the way things feel; smooth, soft, wet, sticky, hard, prickly, bumpy, slimy, rough. They explored their school grounds looking for a different 'feel' for each of the egg segments in the box.


The children then sat in a circle and shared the different 'feels' one child had a stick and said it felt soft. We looked puzzled, but on closer inspection discovered it was like balsa wood, quite spongy, so we all agreed and passed it around. All the children shared their discoveries as a class and proudly took their boxes home, much to their parents delight!

*Wild Things is part of a series of blog posts documenting my involvement in outdoor education activities with the reception class of my son's school. My aim is to encourage children to get outside and discover the natural world through simple activities and unrestricted play. I hope by sharing these activities here on my blog, others may be inspired to try some of the activities at home or even, like me, approach their local school to help out.

3 comments:

  1. what a great idea - I will steal this if I ever get chance to run forest school sessions again! I've done simialr collecting activities but never thought of using an egg box, we just had 'treasure bags'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The collections look so lovely in their egg boxes and what a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From waaaaaay Down Under ... I am inspired. I am a Preparatory Year teacher and like all children, my 24 love to discover. Thank for a such a touchie-feelie idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...