I have just tried out a fab ice cream recipe from the book 'Make your own organic ice cream' by Ben Vear of Winstones Ice Cream. This book is due to be released in Autumn but available for pre-order now, so this spiced plum recipe is a sneak preview. I made it without the aid of an ice cream mixer and it was quick and delightfully easy to make, it tasted delicious, with the spices making it more for the grown up palette, which I was relieved about as my two make fast work of ice cream!
Spiced Plum Ice Cream
- 100ml carton organic double cream
- 200ml local full fat milk
- 150g fair-trade caster sugar
- 3 large organic free-range egg yolks
- 400g blended fresh plums
- A dash of Lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Beat together your eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl, using a hand whisk and place over a low heat. Stir continuously until mixture thickens to a custard like substance adding milk and cream.
2. In a blender, blend all of your plums and add a dash of lemon juice and a few tbsp of water, until mixture is a completely smooth liquid.
3. Combine the custard with your plum mixture and return to heat. Now stir cinnamon into mixture and return to heat for 10-15 minutes stirring mixture constantly before removing from heat, allowing the mixture to rest before pouring the into your ice cream maker or freezer proof bowl.
To make by hand: whip the cream so it's light and floppy, not too stiff, and fold it into the cold custard. Freeze for 3-4 hours, stirring once an hour until almost frozen, and then freeze as above.