Friday, 27 May 2011

Postcards from home...

photo of me by Leonie Wise 

Had a day off today, spent with the lovely Leonie Wise of Postcards From, who came up from London for a visit. We started with an early coffee in Woodruffs, as Stroud was waking up and the friday market was setting up, followed by a purchase of some flowers and plants from the amazing WI stall in the Shambles. 

We then bought cheese from Hania and a letterpress print each from the enigmatic Dennis Gould. We visited the beautiful Moonflower with Leonie treating herself to a top and I found a very lovely two piece summer outfit for a little girl who will be one very soon, oh how I love to shop for pretty girls things (having two boys). I then stocked up on lime cordial and a loaf from the Sunshine shop, before hitting a few charity/junk shops on the hunt for tea cups and pretty things. 


For lunch, we went to The Woolpack, in Slad, my favourite country pub, which didn't disappoint, I had the Woolpack burger with coleslaw and hand cut chips (the best I've ever tasted), Leonie had halibut with cheese and leek dauphinoise potatoes, a saffron sauce and local asparagus. The pub was the local of author Laurie Lee (pictured above in the pub) who wrote the beautiful book Cider with Rosie and sits in the most beautiful valley I know, looking out towards Swift's Hill, a Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust nature reserve (of course!)


To walk off our massive lunch we then went off hunting for elderflowers in full bloom to pick to make elderflower cordial, champagne and I'm going to try some fritters this year too! More elderflower adventures tomorrow x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...