Monday, 30 May 2011

making elderflower cordial...


Just finishing off making a batch of elderflower cordial this morning! It's filling the house with the most delicious smell. Here is the recipe I used...

You will need...

25 elderflower heads
1.5 kg caster sugar
3 lemons
1.5l water

1. Gently collect elderflowers from countryside, take just what you need and from plants away from the roadside to avoid pollution.
2. Bring water to the boil in a large preserving pan and add sugar, reduce the heat to a simmer after the sugar dissolves.
3. Chop lemon into quarters and add to pan with the elderflower heads (gently shake first to make sure any bugs fall out!)
4. Take off heat and leave to cool for 24 hours.
5. Strain through a muslin and pour into sterlised bottles (sterilise in oven or on hottest dishwasher setting).
6. Store in a cool place.

5 comments:

  1. I have been watching my neighbours elderflowers blossom - I shall be collecting them later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love elderflower cordial. I haven't made any this year (yet), so I'll have to hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I have some elderflowers in my garden and wanted to do something with them. I shall get the other ingredients and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girgeous! I am both delighted and tormented by the scent of elderflower from the elder nextdoor which I can't quite reach...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...