Tuesday, 22 March 2011

fact or fiction...


My eldest has never been one for story books, preferring encyclopedias and fact based books instead. His teacher said this is quite true of boys, often schools try to teach boys to read with fiction, when fact books engage them more.

At home we read about dinosaurs, flags of the world, pirates, knights and castles and have a shared impatience of the Biff and Chip phonic books, used at school to teach early years reading. Our favourites are old ladybird books, that use lovely language and lots of detail to satisfy enquiring minds! Tonight he read to me, dinosaurs with great latin names and geological time periods to twist our tongues around! It reminds me of when my cousin was his age, he really struggled at school until he was diagnosed with dyslexia. Despite not being able to read a book, he could read all the players names in the football world cup sticker album 1986 and dinosaur names!

5 comments:

  1. My boys are the same way! We hardly read any books not based in reality in some way. My oldest always brings home dinosaur or books about outer space from the school library. I think the extent of our fiction lies in stories about children that are real - the Alfie books (really any Shirley Hughes), or Milly Molly Mandy, or books by Carolyn Haywood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Oxford Reading Tree at my school. It is a great scheme for building confidence and teaching reading, and all of the children I've read it with have loved it. Biff and Chip disappear after stage 9 and the children are always really disappointed! That said, we mix ours up with some really exciting and varied non-fiction books and some poetry too, and if children have another book they would like to read, we let them go off the reading scheme for a few days to read what is engaging them. I know that if it was one biff and chip after another they would get bored of it.

    It's true that the boys love the non-fiction! If your son carries on with the oxford reading tree scheme, the stories will probably interest him more at stage 13 onwards and there are some lovely info books about volcanoes, the moon, shipwrecks...all sorts!

    I'm in charge of the school reading scheme and I always encourage the children to read what interests them as well as the scheme we have, as I think that is the key to developing skilled, competent, book loving readers!

    It's lovely to see children taking such delight in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Louise for your fab behind the scenes insight, yes my eldest is bringing home much more varied books at the moment and his reading has improved so much this year! My youngest being opposite of his older brother loves Biff and Chip, thank goodness!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of forget from reader to reader... but right now I have a guy who is all about reading FACTS !!! I think facts tend to be short and sweet and often come with very enticing photographs. Usborne and DK have saved my life!!! Once their reading is more fluent and the effort to read is less exhausting and so reading more than a page or a paragraph at a time means they can grab onto a story and go with the whole storyline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biff and Chip are so boring, aren't they?! I remember my son bringing those books home and not wanting to read them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...