Sunday, 6 February 2011

a blustery weekend...


a very blustery weekend, full of drama with high winds, surely a metaphor for the hot air surrounding the proposals to sell off our public forests and local libraries in England? I'm so sad that I struggle to find the right words to explain my feelings about how important I think local libraries are and how important access to nature is. I don't understand politics and cannot comprehend the rationality of these proposals. Maybe the right words will flow in time, but right now these proposals along with the fact that after two and a half years our village still can't find a suitable site for ten allotments makes me lose faith. 

Please sign the petition here, if you believe English forests shouldn't be sold off, and write to your MP. There are also petitions against the library sell offs on your local councils website, which I also urge you to sign and also write to your MP AND visit your library and borrow the most books you are allowed to! 


I have cheered myself up with lots of cooking this weekend, including some leek and cheddar scones that are delicious for breakfast or with soup, in my new vintage soup flask! 
Leek and cheddar scones
ingredients
2 cups plain flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
2/3 cup milk
1 large leek finely chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Method
1. Preheat your oven to 400˚F/ gas mark 6.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cook the leek in a pan with a knob of butter, until they are soft and slightly translucent.  Set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda.  
4. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture, and using your fingertips blend until a coarse crumb forms.  Add a little milk and mix until just combined.  
5. Add the leeks with 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and gently fold in all the ingredients and turn out the dough onto a well floured surface.  
6. Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick round and using a cutter, cut out 6 large circles.  Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheddar cheese.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned on the tops and bottoms.

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel Emma:
    I wrote to our MP about the woodland sell-off proposals even though the wood we love and visit is actually owned & managed very well by a local Wildlife Trust: we still have unlimited access and it's beautifully wild as ever: I'm not so sure everyone else would be so lucky and I really don't want to government to risk it!
    sadly the reply wouldn't say where she stood on the matter and I suspect she is for the sell:
    I feel another letter coming on ....
    meantime everyone must sign this > http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests#petition

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes everyone must sign the petition, you can see of your MP is for or against the sell off, and how they voted here http://saveourwoods.co.uk/news/how-did-your-mp-vote/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the Savernake Forest so I'm pretty outraged. Well done for posting about this. My MP didn't even bother to vote to save the forests. We've petitioned in our house. Even the kids have petitioned - it takes away all their den building & tree climbing & biking & dog walking & picnicking spots. It's going to be one of this governments biggest crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant believe this. I am living in Portugal at the moment but one of the reasons I think about possibly coming back to the UK is for the local libraries. It seems like an insane reason but I LOVED going to the library so much when I was little, I feel so sad that I cant take my little ones there.
    Very best, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...