Saturday, 22 January 2011

Warning, this blog has reached mundane levels, I'm now blogging about vacuum cleaners!


I love how he sticks his tongue out when he concentrates! At the moment we are spending our wintery Saturdays doing housework and baking whilst listening to music, today Radio 2, which has played some excellent tunes! Lovely times and I hope my boys will always enjoy cooking, I remember living with some boys at University who had never even boiled an egg!

Today has been the day when the Dyson has officially given up the will to clean, having had virtually no suck for months now! And despite operating on it several times, removing many a foreign object, I think it's time to give up and find a newer model! A Henry hoover has been recommended to me, does anyone have experience of these, are they any good? I really have no patience to seek out and research for hours. My mother would consult Which magazine and go to every electrical shop in town to compare prices, I by contrast cannot stand the bother of it all and wish to get a replacement before my carpet disappears underneath the fluff! I am thinking the Henry vacuum cleaner has a smiley face ~ is that reason enough?

STOP PRESS: Dyson tweeted me about an hour ago, having picked up on this saga and asked me to call the help desk. Their helpdesk is so HELPFUL, I spoke to someone called Sam, he was polite and talked me through a few things it might be, hopefully clearing a few bits and cleaning the filter (most common reason for loss of suction apparently) and best try again in the morning. I am bowled over, firstly by the fact they picked up on my tweets and asked me to call them, secondly they answered the phone quickly on a Saturday night and finally the man was so polite and helpful. Isn't it awful in this country how we are so used to poor service? This amazing service by Dyson tells me that they are building these things to last and they care enough about their quality and reputation that they have a helpline to make sure these things keep going! And to think I was going to discard it at a whim and replace so quickly, talk about throwaway society, I am feeling pretty small let me tell you! Thanks for all your Dyson service recommendations, I will certainly invest in that before throwing it away. Fingers crossed for good suction in the morning!

9 comments:

  1. Sad enough to reply & have an opinion ;) I have a dyson at home and a hetty (pink henry) at my grandma's - I much prefer my dyson (is a cylinder model). They are right when they say they don't lose suction.

    Can't get over men who can't cook - my 2 are both getting quite handy in the kitchen and shall hopefully be able to survive uni and impress their mates ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop woman! Enough with the domesticity.. (mind you I have heard that the Henry is pretty good, and that price it bloomin well should be!).. We only have one rug in the house, the joys/downfalls of wooden floorboards. Good luck in your search! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma
    Dyson will come out and service your dyson for about £70, I have has my 12 year old dyson done twice now and they have replaced nearly every working part in it! For the £70 every part that needs replacing is replaced at no extra charge. It's brilliant and the man that comes even wears overalls!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can actually get a Dyson serviced and get a bit more life out of them. How's that for a fascinating comment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Henry's are ok as they go but nothing beats a Dyson. Mr Kat used to work for them and says little that can't be fixed so agree with the others and say get it serviced and repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Hetty but I've never tried a dyson. Goo dluck with your decision! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh doh- just read your update- hope it's fixed. Like you say, it's funny how we never think to get things repaired these days- i aloways assume it would be cheaper to get a new one, but so important to think of the environmental cost too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you have an example of excellent service! Should the Dyson ever need to be replaced, I can recommend Henry!! As someone who doesn't hoover until the house is a health hazard, I can testify that it can cope with huge amounts of dust and all those odd bits that somehow block other makes..... That's it. I am officially middle aged... Boo xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now a Miele with a bag fan, after losing my Dyson in a nasty brick dust incident, if you do decide to change. It can handle dog hair, plaster dust and fire ash. Because it always works when I hoover, I also don't swear as much in front of the children, as an added bonus feature. And it is a nice red. I am now off to re-evaluate my life after de-lurking to discuss cleaning of all things!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...