Tuesday, 2 November 2010

my style...


A few lovely people have said recently how much they like 'my style.' I find this intriguing as I {and certainly my mother} consider that I am generally quite scruffy and without much style at all! Most of the clothes in my wardrobe, have been hanging untouched for nearly eight years, as a monument to my 'pre-baby' figure! You know, just in case I ever lose that 'baby' weight!

When buying new clothes, I try to buy things that won't date too quickly, are good quality to last a few years, and will compliment my shape. My problem areas are my tummy {refer back to earlier baby reference - really must do sit ups!} and my boobs, both being larger than desired, and if I'm not careful with how I dress, I look and feel quite frumpy {a bit like Les Dawson dressed as Ada!}. I would love to wear strappy dresses in the summer, but need good upholstery underneath, which a strappy dress just cannot hide! So I try to stick to things that I know suit me and are practical for my lifestyle, boat/slash neck tops, jeans, tunics, dresses over jeans, long skirts with chunky belts and knee length skirts, which flatter my shape, and take the eye away from areas that I am very conscious of.

So many people ignore this very simple principle and buy things they like or is in fashion, regardless of whether it suits their shape or not. My advice would be, take a very honest friend shopping with you and try on loads of things, see what suits you and what doesn't, you may be surprised, for example when I did the Red Magazine shoot last year, I wore a jacket and skinny jeans, things I would never usually choose for myself but looked OK! There are also certain people whose 'style' I admire: Barbara from The Good Life for the allotment look, the late Natasha Richardson for elegance, and the effortless 'boho chic' of Sienna Miller.

I love jeans, they are my uniform {and hold my tummy in}, chunky boots, and this seasons brogues worn with crochet tights. I also like 1940's influenced fashion, vintage dresses and cardigans, but wearing too much of one look can be a bit over the top, so I try to mix it up, for example I am just about to invest in this top from Top Shop {loving their clothes this season and I didn't think at my age I would still be shopping there!} will work well with jeans, but dressy enough with the back detail to wear for a night out, maybe with some deep red lipstick? The other thing I am mindful of, is wearing a 'uniform' where you favour one brand and become a walking advert top to toe, you see this with the 'boden' mummy on the school run!

I also try to invest in certain pieces, from places such as TOAST, which I love but can't justify spending full price on, but their archive sales bring gorgeous clothes into my price range! I also like Top Shop, and H&M at the moment, but it changes from season to season, I would love to afford Jigsaw, Gap {way more expensive in the UK than the US}, Noa Noa, Cath Kidston and Brora but can't, so try to recreate their key 'looks' through car boot and charity shop purchases.

So thank you for enquiring about my 'scruffy' style! I would love to hear about yours...

13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post. I found the links very helpful. I don't really have a particular style. I suppose I am still searching for that. I tend to wear what fits instead of putting a little time and effort in. Hoping to change that. Thanks for the style tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this my dear, is why you are my posh frock shopping partner of choice :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My style is similar to yours - dresses over jeans, skirts & thick tights. I try to make sure that tops cover my 'tyre'. A mix of high street, charity shop & quality shop sale bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab post. And I'm with you on so many of the points you raise. I'll always buy a classic item over a highly fashionable item. And I prefer to spend a wee bit more on one thing that'll last me a long time, rather than five things that'll last a few months. Also, GAP do fab sales, which is when I mainly purchase from them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have exactly the same figure as you and post childbearing it is proving hard to shift. I can't really get away with calling it baby weight anymore either! I love your style and it is very similar to my own although I think you carry it off with a lot more panache and confidence than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that's my style! {smile}. Yes I would love to shop in toast or jigsaw, but my purse strings are tightly bound! I usually buy high street, (Zara, H&M, Primark, Topshop), or Charity Shops or Vintage Shops. My style icons are Alys Fowler and Alexa Cheung. Thanks for sharing your style lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post so much, its really lovely. The links are great too!
    Sheila
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely compliment! I do find it terribly difficult, though to find clothing for my (your) age group (35+).

    But you are obviously doing a wonderful job!

    Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just reading about your figure and I seem to have pretty much the same. I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit and am slowly trying to gather clothing that I like and is flattering. It seems somewhat difficult at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so I have to mention handknit sweaters in beautiful colours over my dresses-with-jeans and hanknit socks - maybe because I'm feeling cold right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This all sounds so familiar to me. Violet is 5 months and having spent the last 4 years in and out of maternity cloths I have totally lost any sense of what to wear. I'm looking forward to re-entering the world of clothes though, when I eventually get back to something approximating my regular weight! I love Jigsaw, cardigans, layering and thick woollen tights with short boots and knee-length dresses/skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your style is so unique and cute. The moment you mentioned '1940's influenced Fashion', that sealed the deal for me. I love your blog. How can I not follow?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...