Sunday, 2 May 2010

dandelion petal sorbet...



How to make dandelion petal sorbet...
Pick a small basket of dandelions, around three pints in quantity (roughly), from a pesticide free area and away from a roadside.

Snip off the petals as soon as they have been picked, not too close to the bottom as the white at the base of the petal is very bitter in taste, so leave that attached to the green calyxes and put in your compost bin!

Put to one side, you should have about two cupfull’s.

Heat in a saucepan five cups of water, half a cup of local honey and one cup of natural sugar.

Once the syrup comes to the boil, stir in the petals, cover and simmer for an hour.

Sieve through a muslin into a container and stir in three tablespoons of lemon juice.

Pop in the freezer, stirring every couple of hours until frozen or use an ice cream maker, following manufacturers guidelines.

Serve in small glass dishes with a dandelion flower on top!
Adapted from The Herbfarm Cookbook: A Guide to the Vivid Flavors of Fresh Herbs by Jerry Traunfeld (Scribner, 2000).

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I NEED to try this!!
    This is so creative and so so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! So cool ;)

    I like this flower, I never saw dandelions like that, just in pictures, I think dandelion is simple but so beautiful and delicate, I don't know if it is asking too much.. but send me a latter, if you can, with some dandelion seeds for me! I would like to plant it! sorry about my englis.

    brazilian hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it is delicious, the taste of the honey overpowered most everything else for us. I don't know if we will make it again as cutting all those petals off was a bit tedious! Thanks so much for sharing this though, I love showing my girls that flowers can be for more than picking and smelling!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...