Tuesday, 6 April 2010

handmade tipi's...


I was delighted to find this handmade tipi featuring on poppytalk today, as my soon to be four-year-old-son has just asked for one for his birthday! He wants a cowboys and indians party, complete with a tipi, just like this one that we stayed in on our holiday last year. After a quick search on the internet, I just couldn't find anything affordable at all, the nearest I got to something plain was from native play designs. So, I decided to make one! Grandad is mocking up a scale version in paper, so I can figure out how much fabric I need (thank goodness for boys who like nothing better than making models, no matter how old they are!) Then we need to find some cotton canvas fabric and make it in three weeks ~ a tall order? Just a bit!

8 comments:

  1. visually your blog is fab! whaleys of bradford have some great natural plain canvas fabrics - they do mail order

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, have you seen this pattern?
    http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/product_info.php?products_id=4024

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you and Grandad make a success of it, it could be a new business venture. I know lots of little boys who would love one and mums who would like affordable ones. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished article.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you carole and martha ~ between you both, you have solved my dilemma! whaleys of bradford is fab, loads of great fabric and really reasonable prices and a pattern should our tipi not go to plan (v. likely!), I am very grateful, Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coming to your blog, it's so refreshing - I wish I was a child again!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! Never mind little boys who want tipis in the living room. I know for a fact that grown ups want them to :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with that - I second the idea that it could be a great business. Am looking forward to showing the picture to my son later on, am sure he'll be putting in a request for one too. So lovely to hear about children wanting real children's activities and ideas instead of the latest Disney merchandising tie in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've recently drafted and made a tipi - not as hard as it first seems and quick once you get going. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...