Thursday, 18 March 2010

a day of discovery and dismay...


a mixture of stones, fossils, shells and pottery "it's Roman" announced our six year old! If that's the case I will open our garden to visitors and serve afternoon tea on the lawn!

I also had the surprise of finding out an email I had sent to the county council, complaining about the recent closure of our library was published in the letters section of a local newspaper - I did copy the editor in over a month ago! To my dismay, I realise I am turning into my mother, writing letters of complaint!

We are regular users of our local library borrowing mainly children's books and DVD's, but we also go to story time there too. When I was a first time mum, I didn't know many people in my village and found that to keep my baby contended, I had to go out in the fresh air daily. So we would walk on laps around our Cotswold Village, avoiding the lanes due to speeding cars and the busy main road that dissects it in two. We would often find ourselves either at the swings or in the library, the only building open in the day apart from a pub. We could sit undisturbed to read for as long as we pleased and meet other villagers. In fact when my son was only a few weeks old, one of the first things we did was get him a library card!

The council have arranged a mobile library service, in the village car park for twenty minutes on a Monday morning. But this is when the children are at school, so the only other option is to drive five miles to our nearest town and pay for parking to visit a bigger library.

Times are changing, cuts are being made, and our village that still has no allotments, now faces a future with no library either. This makes me very sad.

5 comments:

  1. Oh that's so sad about your library! Sometimes I just don't think people understand what is truly important (our town doesn't have a library at all, and we have to pay to use another town's...and now our school faces looming disaster. I don't think a less literate populace will make things in the future better!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that really sucks about your library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write away, frankly the more people than moan about the global closing of libraries the better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a shame. I am lucky to live where there's a great library - and network of libraries. There's even a mobile service at the train station for commuters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to read your library is closing. Its seems such a backward step as children should be encouraged to read at a very early age and to discover the pleasure of books. I would miss mine greatly because I read so many books and couldnt possibly afford to buy all that I read. Keep on moaning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...