Monday, 22 February 2010

how to make marmalade...


This is the time of year when we make marmalade, I make mine with Seville oranges, as they have more pectin in, than other sweeter varieties. I tried a different recipe this year, from Jane Baxter of Riverford Field Kitchen.

Ingredients to make around 2.3Kg:
1.5Kg Seville oranges
2 medium lemons
2.25Kg natural granulated sugar
muslin
string
sterilized jars
waxed discs

Method
1. Cut the fruit in half, remove the pips and put to one side. Squeeze out all the juice and reserve. Reserve the skins too. Take the cut fruit halves and cut in half again. With sharp knife remove as much pith and flesh as possible (my son uses an older blunt knife for this part). Put the pith, pips and flesh into a piece of muslin and tie up with string.
2. Cut the skin into fine shreds (we only do a few skins as we aren't keen on lots of shreds) and put in a pan with 4 pints of cold water, the fruit juice and the muslin bag (which now resembles a large tea bag). Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours or until the liquid has reduced by about a quarter and the peel is soft.
3. Remove the muslin nag and drain over the pan. Measure the contents of the pan in a jug, there should now be about 3 pints. Return the liquid to the pan. Add the sugar and stir over a low heat for 15 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Boil the mixture rapidly for about 50 minutes or until it begins to set (test after 15 minutes). When you think it is ready, test on a cold saucer until the skin wrinkles. When it is set, leave to stand for 15 minutes.
5. Spoon into warmed jars (I heat mine by putting them in the dishwasher, which also sterilizes them at high temperature). Cover the tops of jars with small waxed discs and leave to stand until cool. I use small kilner jars (so I have a ready supply made gifts for impromptu invitations as well as our own consumption) and just close the lids, or if you prefer finish with transparent covers and an elastic band.

Spread lavishly on a piece of toast, whatever time of day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh yummy, My dad has been making Marmalade this weekend. I have never tried it myself but your recipe sounds nice and easy to follow. Thanks for sharing.
    Luv Sophie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah you beat me to it. i've got oranges coming next week to be made into marmalade and i'm trying one this year that has vanilla in it. can't wait - you have me all inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Amy and hi to anyone calling in via Kirtsy! Hi Sophie, I hope your dad shares it with you and good luck Leonie, let me know how it goes, love Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely going to try this, I have never made preserves before but my ma and pa always did when I was little. Homemade peanut butter and elderberry jelly yum! I am excited about how I can package and label them.
    Very jealous of your wales retreat and you are right christmas there would be wonderful. I hope we can get back there again in September.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...