Monday, 21 December 2009

solstice, stories and snug by the fire

we spent our winter solstice, snug by the fire. Yes, the fire, our new wood burning stove, the one I have been saving up for since we moved in seven years ago, put off with the arrival of babies. Finally and somewhat rashly, I ordered one and it was installed last week, just in time for Christmas. We have had it fired up constantly since! I am sure the novelty will wear off soon, but until then we are toasting marshmallows, crumpets, pancakes and chestnuts and just sitting watching the flames, reading stories.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so snug. I recommend toasting welsh cakes with cranberries in them instead of raisins on the stove, they are so delicious. Have a very merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO jealous. I would love to have an open fire/log burner. And I know I would burn and burn and burn if I did get one! It's something I always look for if we are renting a holiday let, and it will definitely be the first thing on my list should we ever move. [would love an aga too, that's the second thing on the list - number of bedrooms is really just an afterthought!)

    Hope you and the family have a wonderful warm and cosy Christmas around the log fire. Sigh, sounds blissful

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! i think our stove was one of the best things we ever bought for our house. and somehow this time of year it becomes even more special not to mention essential for keeping us cosy. we've been lucky in that word is out on our street that we have one and so as the year goes by we get lots of donations from neighbours when they cut down trees/fence panels etc : ) hope you've had a wonderful christmas with toasty toes by yours! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...