Monday, 26 October 2009

we've been away...

ullswater by me

we took daddy for a surprise birthday weekend to join some friends at a holiday flat they were staying in, which overlooks Ullswater in the Lake District. The views from loadpot flat are amazing with the stark peaks, lush green valleys and the colourful trees all dressed in their autumn displays of crimson, brown and orange. It is such a beautiful place I can't believe I haven't been there before! I always thought it such a long drive (four hours) but it is well worth enduring the motorway (and eight sets of roadworks, yes eight my friends in 250 miles don't you love British roads!). It even rained most of the weekend, but it didn't dampen our spirits at all and we braved the drizzle to walk to the most amazing waterfall, Aira Force.

The rain and the clouds just made it all the more dramatic, one minute the peaks would be covered in cloud the next minute they would emerge, the sun would shine and rainbows would appear! The best thing about the rain was the puddles to jump in and the coffee shops to warm up in, slurping big mugfuls of hot chocolate! Our taster weekend has made us all want to go back again there is so much to do, so much beautiful scenery, wildlife and walks to go on.

4 comments:

  1. My old corner of the world - I miss it so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, to slurp a mugful of anything warm!

    Here in Arizona we are still putting ice cubes in everything.

    Slurp something warm for me! Cheers Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely weekend. I have travelled most of Britain but only ever skirted around the Lake District, we would like to go camping there one day. Beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Lake District is SO wonderful, we would camp there lots, so while NZ is wonderful in many ways I do miss parts of the UK and that is one of them. Aira Force is perfect for a wet weather walk, thank you for bringing a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...