Thursday, 8 October 2009

the moral of this story is to be brave and get out of your comfort zone...


do you remember a little while ago I mentioned that I had been interviewed for Red magazine? The feature was about getting ill at Christmas, which unfortunately I always seem to be! Well, what the journalist didn't tell me, was that I would be whisked to London for a photo shoot that would accompany the piece in the Christmas edition! I had thought there would just be a quote from me "I eat my children's chocolate to protect them" or something equally cringeworthy, that would go alongside a feature, but no there were three of us, each to be photographed on our own and then a group shot of us all together.

It has all happened rather quickly and after the picture editor had called to see when I was free, I thought, "no, this isn't me!" I will apologise for wasting peoples time and pull out, I rarely go to London, I don't wear that much make~up, I am hardly stylish, I am not one to get excited by the words 'make over' in fact they are more likely to make me run a mile. Besides, I always feel like a country bumpkin when I step off the train at Paddington, with my west country accent and straw in my hair (Ok, maybe I exaggerate about the straw!). I feel lost in the hustle and bustle of the city and shabby in the presence of groomed city workers, that seem to be so grown up and always in a hurry. I had no idea what the shoot would involve and imagined 'london' types, that say 'darling...' a lot. I went into auto pilot, went along with the flow and sort of drifted there...!

So, the day arrived and I managed to calm myself enough to get on the train and then in a taxi to the trendy Spring Studios, I took a deep breath and walked through the door...

to be continued...

11 comments:

  1. oh Emma you are so brave. i'm quite sure i would have canceled and run. proud of you. look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear the rest of this story. it sounds so exciting and daunting!

    No matter how carefully I pick my outfit for a day in the city I always feel half finished compared to all the women who seem to be able to walk for days on 4" heels!

    PS thanks for the holiday tip! I will research for farm shops in the local area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, good for you, i can't wait to see it! I've been to Spring Studios.. years ago, in my other life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh sounds very exciting - and glam. You must be very proud of yourself for seeing it through and not running away - I know the temptation, but I have to say, I'd be biting someone's hand off for a bit of city lights and glamour, not to mention time being made up and pampered. However there are other things (like hosting a big party - see my blog last week) which generate the same fear and desire to run and hide in me! Am glad I didn't bottle it either, it's always a good feeling on the other side of these challenges eh ? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to see the feature :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how cool is that, I love Red mag
    so I will look out for you
    enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, I am going to have to get my hands on a copy of that Red! Congrats Emma, everyone deserves a few moments of glamour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good for you, friend. waiting to hear more. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just getting good. You look stunning in your header photo so I think you have nothing to worry about. I am positive everyone you came into contact with would love to have a little part of your lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely, brave emma! can't wait for the next installment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so brave. Well done for stepping out of your comfort zone. I hope you're not ill at Christmas though! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...