Thursday, 3 September 2009

a broken heart...

no operation last night, but yet more complications found. This morning my husband travels back to the hospital to see what a new team of consultants think about the tear in her heart. I tried to talk to the boys about it and said about her having a 50:50 chance last night, Alfie took it to mean she has fifty lives, a bit like a cat. It is so refreshing how a six year old brain, understands and rationalises and is a tonic for me right now!

I remember when my aunt passed away, days before his third birthday, we went to the funeral, then a few months later my rabbit died too. As we buried him in the back garden, I said that Aunty Liz would look after him in heaven, so he is convinced that we buried Aunty Liz in the back garden too! I do not know what you are supposed to say to children, I am trying to be as open and honest as possible and tell them how serious this is without scaring them.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments, it gives me great strength reading them.

9 comments:

  1. It is hard, knowing what to tell children. My friend was helped by a book about dragonflies (can't remember the title but will have a think) but that deals more with death.

    I hope your mother-in-law recovers. Sending lots of thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear the news about your MIL, praying that she gets through it ok. Having just lost my MIL in South Africa, I sympathise with all your emotions at this time, and I too have children who look at such things with their own brilliant perspective, making us adults realise ours are not the definitive ones. J xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my heart goes out to you and your family. what you must be going through i don't know. i am sure that you are doing just the right thing with what you are telling your children and like you say...their response to the unknown will help you all too. sending hugs and get well wishes. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh, i'm thinking of you all, love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only just seen your posts. My heart goes out to all of you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending hugs and bright, bright candles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh thinking of you sweet emma. and your boys, of course

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only just discovered your blog and send your mother in law best wishes for a speedy recovery. Your blog is lovely and I shall follow you as you blog through the rest of the year and beyond! Jo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...