Saturday, 25 July 2009

preserving summer...

oh how I love our yearly ritual of going to the farm to pick strawberries. We walk to the furthest point out of sight so that we can naughtily pop the odd strawberry in our mouths as we pick! The boys darting from row to row, searching for the biggest strawberries and comparing their finds in the cardboard trugs. How we bring our treasure home and set about making little jars of jam so that we can spread a little bit of summer over the wintery months ahead.

I make a very simple loose strawberry jam with equal measure (1.5kg) of strawberries (cut in half) and natural sugar, I add these to a large saucepan greased with 10g of unsalted butter and simmer, dissolving all of the sugar, one dissolved I add the juice of two lemons and bring to the boil for approx 20 mins or until the jam sets.

To test if it has set I put a couple of saucers in the fridge and put a teaspoon of jam on them and pop them in the fridge for a few minutes, if you can run your finger through the jam and the white line stays then it has set. I then use a variety of small jars to bottle up, having sterilized them in a hot oven beforehand. This amount usually gives me about 2.5kg of jam, yum!

1 comment:

  1. The jam looks yummy! I haven't made jam before, but I'm tempted. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...