Sunday, 19 July 2009

one enchanted evening...

As a child I would imagine and draw, magical woodland glades lit by hundreds of glow worms, but I have never seen one in real life. I joined a glow worm walk this week at dusk, to learn more about them and how to identify them. They are amazing things, they aren't worms at all but actually beetles. The female is huge compared to the male and glows to attract him and once mating and laying her eggs, she dies. They emit such a tiny but bright light, like an LED light and can be quite hard to see as they hold on to long grasses. They are even more difficult to photograph!  

I rarely go out at dawn or dusk anymore, especially in the summer time when the boys are in bed when it is still light, which is a shame as they are the best times to see wildlife and take photographs. If you would like to find out more, then I would recommend you visit your local Wildlife Trust website to find out what is going on near you, the events they run are usually free. 

1 comment:

  1. When I think of glow worms, I think of those soft green toys for children that light up when you squeeze them. I had no idea there were real glow worms! I thought someone just made it up. How cool is this?!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...