Monday, 8 June 2009

tipi tales...

We have been away for two blissful weeks, two weeks with no work, no computer and no phone reception... heaven!

The first week we stayed in a tipi in north Cornwall. The site was in a disused quarry with pitches scattered in woodland around a central lake fed by a little stream. It was beautiful and peaceful and gave us the chance to reconnect as a family with no distractions. I say no distractions, but we were woken up early by the dawn chorus and a rather loud thrush singing outside, we had blue tits nesting in the rock face next to our tipi and great tits nesting in the water pipe. Buzzards circled overhead and rabbits grazed on the clearings. Voles rustled in the undergrowth and pheasants called loudly as you walked by. I even shared the loo with a toad! 

It made me think of the childhood books I read and classical novels when the author recalls the wildlife of yesteryear. It is something so rare and threatened today that it was a joy but quite strange to be walking next to hedgerows that rustled with an abundance of wildlife. 

The tipi's were separated with hedges so you couldn't see your neighbours, just hear the murmur of voices and crackle of the campfire. I have started to add pictures of our holiday here, but there are plenty more to follow - you have been warned!

Whilst I am on a woodland theme today, I have found the most beautiful handmade silver woodland bracelet here, one for a birthday list I think! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you stayed in a tipi! That looks really quaint - and your pictures are gorgeous! I'm so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I've always wanted to stay in a tipi on holiday !

    I bet you had such a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home - it sounds just magical!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...