Wednesday, 24 June 2009

nature club...

I have been helping with the nature club at my son's school this term and I have been delighted by the interest and enthusiasm of the children. They have been enjoying pond dipping, meeting lambs from a local farm, dissecting owl pellets and looking at mini-beasts. Environmental education is so important to children, it is scandalous that its importance is often overlooked at schools who instead fixate on achieving standards in reading, writing and mathematics. I believe that environmental education should start at home as there are so many things that a family can do and enjoy together, which is why I love the book 'The Bumper Book of Nature' by Stephen Moss. 

I bought my copy from a lovely shop called Hooper & Shaw in Port Isaac, Cornwall whilst we were on holiday. Whilst admiring it and the beautiful illustrations in it the lady who was serving me said they were her illustrations, that she was indeed the very talented Nicole Heidaripour. I wish I could buy all my books from the writers and illustrators themselves as it is so much nicer to hear about their work in person than just receive a brown cardboard box in the post!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...