Wednesday, 15 April 2009

wildlife walks...



I cannot shout loudly enough about the importance of nature for young children. To teach them about seasons, weather and wildlife. My eldest has always been interested and will walk for miles on a 'nature ramble'. Whilst on our holiday, I gave them both the 'foraging bags' I bought from Melissa of Tiny Happy, earlier in the year, in them I put a small thermos flask for hot chocolate {just like daddy's}, a plain book to record what we see, some wildlife stickers {well they are still quite young and who doesn't love stickers?} and a small ladybird. They loved them and whilst my youngest is still quite young, we treat him exactly the same, so he too can learn to love nature too. 

My heart swelled with pride as whilst walking past a roadside verge, every few steps, they were stopping us saying, this is the path of an animal and finding mouse or vole droppings in the dry stone wall! Of course the walk took us an age!

9 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I also try to teach my children to love the outdoors and nature, even though we live in the middle of the city. But we do try to get away as often as we can.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must agree with you on this. My two got woodland trust memberships for Easter from my mum. If you haven't seen it check it out at www.naturedetectives.org.uk there are some good downloadables for non-members. It has really got them excited about spotting things in nature

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience! Thanks for the tip on the foraging bags... I have been looking for a child friendly version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so with you on the importance of taking children into nature! You live in such a beautiful natural environment. And I like your nature bags! Remembered that from your post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like the idea of the hot chocolate in the thermos, my little guys would love that on our next nature walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to make my girlies foraging bags. They have "treasure gathering baskets" but too often they get held by me! :)

    It makes me so proud, too, when the girls can name all the wildflowers and trees, when they take delight in things like slugs and bunnies along the path. Such a wonderful experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are so right about this! Taking nature walks and experiencing everything with joy and patience is not only fun, but there are lessons learned every time. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you mentioned the walk took ages! It's so rewarding letting them ramble and look at their own pace. Our walks with our 2 year old take about an hour for each mile. Not because of his stride, really. Because of his curiosity!

    Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...