Friday, 17 April 2009

a simple life...

We have been really fortunate to have stayed in some really lovely places on holiday {not the bottom right kitchen - keen eyes will spot that it is the River Cottage Kitchen!}, all of them simple and beautiful. When ever I come home, bringing home 'post holiday blues' with me, I try not to hate our house quite so much. Our house is an ex-council house, a functional square box, built not out of love or craftsmanship, but out of necessity and economy. It sits in a road full of houses that all look the same, with open front gardens and no personality*.


5 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly about the strong desire to have a home with wooden floors, beams, character, craftsmanship...dreams for me too. Your holiday sounds lovely.
    I just want to thank you also for the link on Ruth Cross, she's wonderful and your socks look lovely... and through her web site I found out she made the mittens Bella wore in the Twilight film (my oldest daughters obsessed!), so HUGE thanks for that X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand this feeling. We have just moved to London and we are in a bland small flat that doesn't feel like home. But I am grateful for it keeping us warm and safe. And maybe if things work out, we can move to somewhere more like home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a council house and the first house (actually, the only house I bought) was an ex council house which, like the one I grew up in, was an older style, 1920's. I actually fell in love with the house I bought due to its cast iron fireplaces in two of the bedrooms, the original bedroom doors complete with metal wobbly door knobs and, delight of delights, all the floors were boarded which were stripped and varnished. From just a quick look at your blog, I don't doubt you've made *your* council house a gorgeous home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand what you´re saying and have my eyes open for a place like that wherever I go. Have you seen this? http://www.flickr.com/groups/cottages/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, we live in London out of necessity, but it's just not me. sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...