Friday, 17 April 2009

can't put it down...


can't put it down..., originally uploaded by Emma Bradshaw.

I love a book that holds you captivated from the first few words. When I find a good book I steam through it in days carrying it around with me wherever I go, just to read a few more pages! Many books remind me of certain times, like holidays and some remind me of studying literature at school.

'On the Black Hill' by Bruce Chatwin was recommended on the website of the cottage we just stayed in, as it was set on an upland farm in the Black mountains, near to where we stayed. It is the story of a farming family, following the lives of a set of twins, Lewis and Benjamin Jones. It is a beautifully written book, packed with the harsh reality of the twins lives in the 20th century, and the people who touched their lives for good and bad. 

From the window of our cottage I watched the farmer tend to his sheep in the neighbouring field as I read. He went about his business with a limp, after being thrown from his horse years before. He knew every single sheep and spent frantic hours trying to get all the lambs into a barn before nightfall, as there was a vixen taking them in the night. From a distance he looked like an old man wearing his cap, up close his face was worn and weathered but with a hint of rugged handsomeness underneath the dirt! He could of so easily been a decendant of one of the character's in the book.

I would certainly recommend this book, especially if you too have the opportunity to read it, in the landscape where it is set.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I do so love a book that totally captivates. I will add this book to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...