Friday, 27 March 2009

hot cross buns


hot cross buns, originally uploaded by Emma Bradshaw.

as soon as they are in the baker's I buy them, I think I am addicted. Ted calls them "buns with kisses on!" This weekend I am going to try a new recipe and make my own batch...

Cherry & Chocolate Hot Cross Buns

Ingredients
450g very strong flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar
7g sachet of fast action dried yeast
160g of sour cherries
100g dark chocolate chunks
50g butter
250ml semi-skimmed milk, plus 3tbsp for glaze
1 egg beaten
50g plain flour

Method
1. Sift the strong flour, salt and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon into a large bowl to lightly combine the ingredients. Add 50g sugar and the yeast, dried cherries and chunks of chocolate, then stir until just combined.

2. Gently melt the butter in a small pan, add 250ml milk and heat for one minute unil tepid. Pour in the egg and stir enough of the milk mixture into the flour to form a soft dough, using a round bladed knife.

3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 12 equal sized pieces and shape into balls, pushing any of the chunks of chocolate that poke out of the dough back in, to stop too much chocolate oozing out into the oven. Transfer onto large baking sheets lined with non stick baking parchment, leaving space for each bun. Cover with lightly oiled clingfilm. Leave to prove in a warm place for about 1-1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.

4. Preheat the oven to 190 oC, gas mark 5. To decorate with crosses {or kisses} put the plain flour in a small bowl and gradually add 5-6 tbsp of cold water to form a smooth, thick paste. Spoon this mixture into a small piping bag, or a clean plastic food bag and snip off a corner, then neatly pipe a cross over each of the buns. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown in colour.

5. Meanwhile prepare the glaze. Place the remaining milk, 3 tbsp cold water, the remaining cinnamon and sugar in a small pan and heat gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. When the buns are cooked, transfer them onto a cooling rack and brush the glaze over each one twice. Allow to cool.

Recipe from the Waitrose Seasons Spring 2009 Cookbook...

7 comments:

  1. I did see this recipe in the Waitrose booklet and put it away meaning to do it, must get it out and give it a try as it sounds really good - thanks for the reminder. I always think the hot cross buns look yummy but don't like the raisins in them.

    Our bell tent arrived this week and we weathered it in the garden last night. It really looks good, we are so pleased with it and the children love it, can't wait to go camping in it - thanks for the information on it, pop over to my blog as I will try and post a picture this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, thanks for that recipe, I have all the ingredients so will try it this afternoon. T is also addicted to HCBs. We like the M&S apple and cinnamon ones. One day last week he ate four. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ot cross buns - could eat them all year round and now will definitely try making them ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...yummy! thanks for reminding me that my girls and i need to make these this year - i haven't made them since before i had kids! i've never tried them with cherries instead of currants - sounds like it'd be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!! I saw Thimbelina's link to you - I will try these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Thimbelinas link, so I decided to follow it...The recipe looks amazing- can't wait to try them- and give them as easter gifts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just found your lovely lovely blog and I wanted to say, "My name is Kat, and I too am a hot cross bun addict".

    I buy them by the dozens and then freeze them so I can have them for months and months. When they get stale I make endless bread and butter puddings out of them. Its sad, but then, most addictions are!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...