Tuesday, 23 December 2008

The Green Christmas Guide # 16 - Now celebrate...!

I love mulled wine and cider, the warmth and the cinnamon and cloves smells evoke the Christmas spirit for me. I try and give bottles with little muslin squares full of spices, that can be used with a bottle of cider or wine, like a tea bag. Or I decorate presents with cinnamon sticks. There are many drinks that you can buy from local suppliers, thus keeping food miles down or you can make your own hedgerow champagnes and sloe gin too.

Here is my recipe for Mulled Cider (tried and tested many a time!)
510 ml Local Cider
120 ml Calvados or Brandy
725 ml Apple Juice
thinly pared lemon zest
2 cinnamon sticks
8 cloves
2 tablespoons of soft dark sugar
lemon juice to taste.

Put the ingredients into a large pan and heat gently, simmering for about half an hour. Add sugar and lemon juice to taste. I also make just a mulled juice version for the boys or drivers over Christmas, the boys usually dip the rim of the glasses in lemon juice then sugar to give the drinks a snowy, Christmassy look!

Now sit back and enjoy Christmas,

I hoped you have enjoyed this guide, love Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...