Sunday, 2 November 2008

buy nothing month...

Melissa, the author of the green parent magazine and blog is extending the "buy nothing day" into a "buy nothing month". This concept fascinates me as despite the best intentions in the world I seem to be quite materialistic, which shames me. These are my excuses...

I am a working mum, I don't always have time to cook and prepare meals from scratch in advance and if I did I wouldn't get a lot of chores done at the weekend or spend time with the children. Sometimes convenience = sanity!

The boys get given lots of gifts and invited to parties and I feel obliged to reciprocate.

My husband doesn't always share the same values and will often go for the convenient option - like fish and chips!

I always fall for the 2 for 1 offers in a supermarket and always walk out with more food than I need or went in for (this is why my husband now does most of the shopping!).

Things always seem to happen, chimney leaks, car breaks down , school trip needs paying for...

I am quite relieved - and whilst it is always a painful process to list your faults, I am quite relieved that there are none that are insurmountable - well apart from the car breaking down! So with the weight of the credit crunch on my shoulders {we have just remortgaged - owch!} I too am going to look at our lifestyle and start to make more changes and learn from Melissa as she blogs this month. I think I will start by using up all of our store cupboard provisions and have a lean food month, this will make us appreciate Christmas's little luxuries all the more!

2 comments:

  1. i nodded in agreement through most of your post! for a lean month to start here we'd have to start after we'd payed brownies/cubs/youth theatre subscriptions and there's a school trip coming up this month! If i ignore those as 'bills' then it is more realistic. The food shopping is really getting me down...i cook 80% of our meals but it's hard when i want to cook X but can't find the ingredients so end up buying stuff to make Y at twice the price! I use some of the 2 for 1's etc on any non perishable things..i don't think we've lost out that way yet..at least that bit seems to work :)

    It would be good to make november leaner because december is the fattest money month ever!

    Good luck with yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree, we have two freezers both half full of food that should be eaten before the December buying fest for Christmas. Am starting tonight with myself and the children as hubby is out - interesting dinners here we come!

    Oh and yes, they all need paying at the same time - school trips and cars go hand in hand in this household.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...