Saturday, 6 September 2008

River Cottage Festival 2008...

The forecast was awful; heavy rain and flood warnings, but when we arrived thankfully there was blue sky, at least for an hour or so... Pictured above is River Cottage HQ at Park Farm, look how the pathways have turned into streams!

For readers not familiar with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (above) or the River Cottage brand, I'm not going to harp on instead refer to his website here, but will say, he is an absolute hero in my and millions of chickens eyes! He has also written many a good cookbook my current favourite being the River Cottage Family Cookbook.

The festival was a great showcase of the values of River Cottage, self-sufficiency, food integrity, and the consumption of local, seasonal produce and was packed with local producers and yummy food - although the cider had run out by 2pm before we even sampled any!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I would have loved that day out! My worry would be that I'd turn into a quivering wreck if I saw the man himself or more likely my 3 kids would break the landspeed record to jump on him! They are HUGE fans!

    your blog looks wonderful, I came via soulemama and once the kids are in bed i'll be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    Could you comment as to whether or not this would be a good buy for a vegetarian? I don't mind cookbooks with some meat dishes, but don't want one that has heaps and heaps of them.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so envious! I'd probably be the first to jump on Hugh, delicious man that he is :)

    I just found your blog via my daily dose of soulemama & am enjoying it very much. Your boys look about the same age as my own (almost 5 and 2 1/2) - boys are fun, aren't they?
    I'll look forward to reading some more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jennifer

    The book is based around chapters titled; flour, milk, eggs, fruit, veg, fish, meat, store cupboard, sugar and honey and of course chocolate. In each section it aims to inform about each food group and has a couple of projects - such as making your own sausages (obviously not good for you and I don't think I will ever attempt this one) but does show us meat eaters how to buy the right meat and children where it comes from, other projects include making your own salt, growing tomatoes and pancake races! It is beautifully photographed and presented - why not borrow it from your local library first to see of it has enough in it that would interest you?

    I hope this helps you?
    All the best, emma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...