Sunday, 14 September 2008

launching a virtual book group...

It is the national year of reading this year and I have only just caught onto this fact! Apparantly the two groups less likely to read are teenage boys and mothers of small children. Phew, being the mother of small children I have an excuse and can justify my only reading material; recipe books, a skimmed sunday newspaper, children's books (on which I could write a thesis!) and my guilty pleasure - gossip magazines in the hairdressers - where I can be heard to ask for "only the most trashy please!"

Being an only child I loved books growing up as they were both good entertainment if you have no one else to play with but also exposed me to world's that I could only dream about. I read most books, but my main passion was Enid Blyton, the adventures, the close families and friends, a world that was so simple, when my world wasn't. In fact my ambition for many years was to go to boarding school like Darrell in Malory Towers and eat anchovies on toast!

As I am also the mother of two small boys I am trying to instill the same passion and respect for books that my mum did in me. They always have books at bed time and regulary read throughout the day and we have a bookcase packed full of fantastic books, so I hope that whilst they will be teenage boys, they will always read!

So to buck the statistical trend of mothers who don't read - I have decided to launch a 'virtual book' group here today - I know a few people are regular readers of this blog and am hoping that one or two of you will join with me too? I will list a book for the month to read and then in the comments section we can share thoughts and feedback on whether we enjoyed it or not? People who have already read the book are also welcome to comment and recommend future reads too.

The book to read for September is 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon. This is technically a children's book but is one of those books that also appeals to adults and has even been published with an adult cover as well! It is the story of Christopher who has a photographic memory. He understands maths. He understands science. What he can't understand are other human beings. When he finds his neighbour's dog lying dead on the lawn, he decides to track down the killer and write a murder mystery about it. But what other mysteries will he end up covering? - I have chosen this as it is a book that is easy to read for busy people of all ages! Let me know what you think...?

5 comments:

  1. Like you I don't get to read many books other than children's ones and think your virtual group club is a great idea.

    I read this book about a year ago and very much enjoyed it, though I probably should re-read it to be able to say something more intelligent about it (or comment at different time when my brain isn't already asleep)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful choice! Strangely enough I was talking about this book in my writing class just the other night...

    And the virtual book club is a great idea! I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My copy of the book arrived today, I look forward to reading it and joining your online club. Wonderful idea. Love your blog btw. All the very best, ClareX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this from a charity shop over a year ago and haven't got around to reading it yet so this is a good reason to get started!! Need to finish 'The boy in the striped pyjamas' tho before the film comes out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo I am so excited by all of your responses! yippeee we have ourselves a group!

    when you have read it do remember to leave your thoughts here, if you don't finish it or don't enjoy it, share that too... it's just as important and let's face it we all have times when we are too busy to read. Don't forget if you have any recommendations for future books let me have your suggestions.

    Right, now... let's get reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...